How often do we ask for feedback?

Ryan Woodruff
  Follow @WoodruffRyan
Head Coach
Lynchburg YMCA

How often do we ask our athletes for feedback? As the ones actually performing the workout, an intelligent athlete is the best judge as to whether a workout was effective.  Recently I had my team perform the following set:



































The group did an excellent job on the set.  When we concluded, I asked them to consider ways in which the set could have been improved.  Here are the suggestions that I got:












The first suggestion was most popular -- they would have preferred to have been able to choose the drill they got to do rather than the ones I prescribed (at the bottom of the first picture).  Overall, I was pleased with the level of thought they put into this and the fact that the suggestions didn't all make the workout "easier."

Overall, it was a good moment of trust and communication between athletes and coach.  I highly recommend you give it a try sometime.
Tweet
 

Labels: , , ,