My 10 Favorite Workouts My Team Did This Year

Ryan Woodruff
Head Coach
Lynchburg YMCA


Our team is currently on a break, so I am not writing daily workouts. Many of you are probably doing the same right now, gearing up for the fall.  One of my favorite things to do at the end of the season is to look back at what worked, what didn't, what we liked, what we didn't etc.  Of course, it isn't always easy to tell what worked, but figuring out that puzzle is part of the job.


Here were my 10 favorite workouts that my team did this past year (from short course or long course season):




1. Epic Saturday (LCM). This wasn't our longest or fastest set of the year, but it was perhaps the most challenging.  Our kids totally crushed it, and many of our top performers on the set turned out to be our top performers at the end of the season.
2. 60 x 50 Friday Fly Day Set. (LCM)  I liked this set because we got a great combo of effort & technique. Fly sets might be my favorite kind to write -- just ask my swimmers.
3. The Jellylegs Set (SCM).  Need I say more?  Actually, you can see the Jellylegs Set Part Deux as well.
4. Our Distance Freestylers were about 90% successful with this set (SCY)  Simple set, but one of my favorite ways to challenge our distance kids.  Many variations can be made from this one.
5. All Aboard the IM Pain Train (SCY).  You might be getting the theme here -- many of my favorite workouts are also some of our most challenging ones.  We had a great year in part because our swimmers really embraced these challenging workouts.
6. What's Your Magic Number (Any course).  This one got a great effort and also provided great fodder for some post-practice conversation about the psychology of swimming fast.
7. Back or Breaststroke Squeeze Set (SCY). This one forced our swimmers to closely monitor their effort, the clock, and to really push themselves.
8. Power Buckets (SCM) We did more resistance training this season than in years past.  This workout is a good sample of the kind of thing we did.  I like it not for its difficulty but rather because of the level of focus we were able to achieve.
9. The Set That Might Never End (SCY).  This was a group challenge that really brought everyone together and encouraged them to strive for the good of the group.
10. The Cookie Set (SCM).  This was another group challenge set with a food incentive right around the holidays.

Did you have any workouts that you felt propelled your team to success this season?  Send the to us at swimmingwizard@gmail.com


Labels: